Followers

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

There are none so blind...


I heard about this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/stevie-wonder-boycotts-florida-stand-your-ground-zimmerman_n_3603571.html

on the Syracuse FM drive-time show (Gomez&Dave........and Lisa*). One of the guys surmised that Mr. Wonder only wants to perform in states where he "can't defend himself".

I think it's a safe bet that Stevie Wonder, despite his vast accomplishment in the field of music is still not able to see well enough to aim and fire a gun with any degree of accuracy (my bad if I'm wrong). I don't know, maybe there IS a "Stevie, The Blind Pianist" who wields weaponry with the same degree of efficiency that he demonstrates with his music--I'm guessing, "Not.

Unless he's got accountants and managers that are aemoral thieves and idiots, Stevie Wonder prolly has no genuine need to pander to an audience. I think it's probably been obvious to anyone who's ever listened to "Living for the City" (released on "Innervisions", 1973) that his take on inner-city violence was that it WAS a racist thing. I'm sure that lots of folks don't care for his "political" music, preferring to listen to tunes like, "You are the Sunshine of My Life"--a fine tune, btw--or, maybe, "Ebony and Ivory" (performed, on the album, "Tug of War", with the best white songwriter prior to Justin Bieber or something like that). Stevie Wonder has taken a number of unpopular stances (well, unpopular with white folks--radiKKKal asshole whitefolks) during the last 50 years--yeah, he's been around that long--including being banned from performing in South Africa for a while. I don't think that he really does a CBA to determine whether his opinions are going to hurt his box office or record sales.

Stevie was born blind, but he has an ability to "see" which transcends a lot of folks' 20/20 vision.


*  Lisa doesn't get the same billing, I don't know who makes that decision.

No comments: